I thought that the best topic to start with is my skincare routine, which is inspired by the Korean skincare routine. Today, I'm not going off of a researched article on the Korean skincare routine; I am telling you what I do personally. It has been very effective on a long-term basis for me, meaning that my skin is always under control.
Let's begin with what I do at night, which many people find to be pretty lengthy.
1. I remove my makeup with Neutrogena facial wipes, which I religiously purchase at Costco. I am always very careful around my eye area, and I always try to push my face up rather than down while wiping. This part doesn't have to be perfect for me, so if I have any remaining makeup, I don't mind.
2. I hop in the shower. No matter how late it is, I always finish my night with a shower because I believe that it opens your pores up better than a warm towel. I want to get the maximum results out of my face products.
3. In the shower, cleaning begins in three steps. First, I oil cleanse. While I have normal-dry skin, I think that oil cleansing is for everyone. Why? Because like dissolves like. The oil cleanser is able to clear any oil that you may not want on your face better than water and soap can. Second, I exfoliate with a gentle scrub. Because I exfoliate every night, which is more than what is recommended but keeps my skin looking smooth, I am very gentle with it. Third, I foam cleanse. This last step helps to clean my face even more. Oh, and I only wash my face after I've washed my hair.
4. After I hop out of the shower, I dry my face first and then I apply an initial toner. After I apply the toner, I dry the rest of my body, brush my teeth, dress, etc. I make sure that my post-shower time before step 5 is very short as I really care about taking advantage of my open pores.
5. I then begin my product session for my face and neck. First, I apply a second layer of toner, which usually has a different benefit to it than my first layer of toner in step 4. Second, I face mask. I face mask at least 5/7 days in a week to keep my skin looking consistent and to make up for the days when I forget to drink enough water (sadface). Third, I apply emulsion. Fourth, I apply an ampoule. Fifth, I apply essence. Sixth, I apply eye cream to my under-eye area and smile lines. Seventh, I apply cream. Eighth, I apply a sleeping mask. All of these products are worked in with little taps on my face. I never rub.
This is my daily night routine. Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? Actually, once or twice a week I use nose strips, lip masks, eye masks, smile line masks, and neck patches. I use them when I feel the need to, but the steps above are very standard for me.
Now for the morning routine, which isn't nearly as long as my nighttime one.
1. I wash off my sleeping mask from the night before.
2. Without worrying about if my pores are open or not, I tap in one layer of toner.
3. I apply sunscreen, then BB cream, darken my brows a little, and then apply blush. All set. Out the door!
I'm sure many of you may have questions on all of these steps as I only briefly mentioned them. I plan on explaining further in the future, but I wanted to share my routine with people who didn't really know it. It sounds like so much work, but since I have a habit of doing these things mindlessly now, I just do them! The results have been very gratifying, and even if I have many stressful days in a row, I no longer break out! I'm now in control! No break outs mean that my skin is very happy. :)
Can't wait to share specific products, tips, and explanations with you soon!